The Cheyenne Animal Shelter will temporarily close its dog adoption area after parvovirus (parvo) was confirmed in two isolated cases.
The Cheyenne Animal Shelter vaccinates each animal for the virus upon intake. During the closure and decontamination process, the Shelter is taking every precaution to protect the dogs, staff and volunteers. Protocols are in place to ensure that the virus will be contained.
“The safety of the animals in our shelter and community is a top priority and the reason why this precaution is being taken,” said Executive Director Bob Fecht. “We are investigating how this occurred and what steps can be taken in the future to prevent similar incidents.”
The American Veterinary Medical Association reports that canine parvovirus is a highly contagious virus that can affect all dogs, but unvaccinated dogs and puppies younger than four months old are the most at risk. The virus can be spread by direct contact, but more often it is spread by people petting one dog after another. Parvo adversely impacts a dog’s gastrointestinal tracts. Signs of the virus include loss of appetite, inactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, low body temperature, and abdominal pain.
For more information, contact Niki Rose, Marketing Coordinator at the Cheyenne Animal Shelter (307) 278-6195 or your pet’s veterinarian.